The Kiev funicular is a system that connects the Podol with the Upper part of the city. This is the second funicular in the Russian Empire after the one in Odessa.
Till the beginning of the twentieth century they were using wooden stairs to get from the Podol to the upper part of the city. As the city transport was developing it was impossible not to solve the problem of how to get from the Podol to the Vladimirska Hill. The idea of creating such transport has always existed – in fact there was a project to build this funicular system near the Andreevska church.
In the end of the nineteenth century the trams couldn't go along the Andreevskiy descend. The streets there were very narrow, steep and curved. That's why Podol wasn't connected with the upper part of the city. The city authorities decided to create a separate mechanical elevator on open spot.
The equipment and the carriages were made in Switzerland, as the masters there have long experience in creating rope ways. They added special ribbon brakes that were connected with the engine. They were automatic, but could also been used by the mechanic's decision. These brakes didn't allow to speed more than it is authorized by the manufacturers and also prevented the strikes of the carriages against the platforms of the upper and the lower stations.
On May 7, 1905, the builders and mechanics who were working on this project took a test drive on the funicular. On the next day, May 8, the funicular was opened for passengers.
In summer 1928 there was an accident. During the reconstruction the upper carriage fell down from the upper station and crashed into the carriage on the lower station. People didn't get hurt but the carriages were fully destroyed and they had to be totally reconstructed.
The next reconstruction took place in the middle of 1980th.
In the beginning of the autumn in 2008 Kievpastrans announced the tender to reconstruct the funicular. But the economic crises got on the way and the authorities only allowed to repair it.
The next attempt to reconstruct the funicular (to upgrade the concrete overpass, to make wider sidewalks and to enhance safety) was made in 2011. The project implies the replacement of old carriages by the new ones.
The upper station of Kiev funicular has the access to the Vladimirska Hill. “Poshtova Square” – is the lower station of the funicular, opened in 1929, when it was made longer in length. There is a metro station and a river port near the funicular.
The difference of heights between stations: 75m
Time of circulation: 2-3min
Timing: 6am to 11pm
The cost: 1.50 UAH