Lipki is a historic district of Kiev (part of Pechersk district). In 1752, Mariinsky Palace was built in Lipki - the Kiev residence of the Empress Elizabeth. By the efforts of the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra, Klovsky palace was built in the tract, and lindens were planted on its north side, cut with straight paths. The whole story could be told about Lipskaya (Linden) Street and the origin of its name.
Today, nobody can say exactly when an extensive linden grove came into existence. Some sources give 1774 as the date of its transplanting. But the story of its blight is known. It became clear only from the XVIII century. N.Zakrevsky notes that linden plantations stretched over a large area, from Klovsky palace, they came close to the Imperial Garden, and in the north direction finished in Khreschatyk. Kiev was developing, demanding new area and replanning. Then it was formed new district of development - the so-called New building, located in the direction of the river Lybid. At the same time began intensively to develop free of building lands of Pechersk. Whereas the land here was expensive, mostly aristocracy settled down in Pechersk. So aristocratic Lipki (Lindens) appeared in such way, where grew mansions of the city administration, merchants, retired military. But the memory of linden plantations remained - in the name of the district, and in the name of Lipskaya (Linden) street. As well as we can talk about the past of the street Shelkovichnaya. Here is the House of the general- governor and his office, the building of the State Bank. Traditions, established in the early 18th century, have survived to the present time - there are: the building of the Presidential Administration, the building of the Supreme Council of the National Bank of Ukraine, Government House, and many other office buildings in Lipki.
Lipki was also called the Count's Mountain - in honor of hereditary nobility who lived here. Also it had name- German Mountain, because there was a vast German colony. German Protestant created a whole era in the development of the city. They set up pharmacies, factories, were the first university professors, actors, printers, architects and administrators. In Soviet times, there were houses of nomenclative workers, and in the surrounding streets - the main institutions of government.
Many prominent people of that time visited Lipki. In 1843, an exemplary maiden pension of Laura de Mel-Yan was opened here. Among its graduates - there was pianist Kragelskaya. Her play was being listening by Franz Liszt. He also visited the home of her family in the Lipki and gave a few lessons there. Over time, she became the wife of N.I. Kostomarov. In the life of the composer Liszt really important role played another resident of the Lipki - Princess Sayn-Wittgenstein. In the early twenties of the nineteenth century Decembrists held secret meetings in the Lipki. Now here is the so-called "House of the Decembrists" (Grushevskogo Street 14), which belonged to the hero of the War of 1812, General of Cavalry N.N. Rajewskiy. He was the father of Volkonskaya - wife of the Decembrist S.G. Volkonsky . Pushkin and Davydov visited this house. Right behind it there was a huge building of the former Council of People's Commissars of the USSR, which was built in 1938 and now it is the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine.
Lipki (Palace Part, Klovska Tract, the Count's Mountain, German Mountain) is between such streets Michael Hrushevsky, Khreschatyk, Institute, Shelkovichnaya, Academician Bogomolets, lanes Vinogradnuy and Krepostnoy.