Ru / En

Золотые ворота

Киев Украина

Золотые ворота возвели в 1037 во время правления в Киеве великого князя Ярослава Мудрого.

Андреевский спуск

Киев Украина

Согласно легенде, Андреевский спуск получил название в честь Святого Андрея Первозванного.

Улица Дерибассовская

Одесса Украина

Дерибассовская – символ Южной Пальмиры, если вы желаете лицезреть самые красивые и интересные виды Одессы, то вам стоит заглянуть на эту улицу.

Герцог де Ришелье

Одесса Украина

Памятник основателю города, герцогу Ришелье, на Променаде – одна из главных достопримечательностей Одессы.

Города

Киев

Львов

Одесса

Навигация

Путешествия

Новости

Статьи

Карта Украины

Контакты

Карта Киева

Карта Киевского метро

Погода в Киеве



Articles

21/11/2012

St.Volodymyr's Cathedral


St.Volodymyr's Cathedral

St.Volodymyr's Cathedral is the main Cathedral of Ukrainian orthodox church of Patriarch of Kiev. It is situated in Kiev on T.Shevchenka Blvd.

The metropolitan of Kiev and of GalichinaArseniy laid the first stone of the Cathedral on July 15, 1862.

In 1866 the cathedral was completely built. But suddenly the walls, the arches and the partitions cracked. It was clear that they weren't able to hold the domes. The construction was stopped and a special committee with the most famous architects was created. They found out that there was a mistake in calculations that caused these problems.

In June 1876 the construction was renewed under the supervision of an architect Vladimir Nikolaev. He was the one who created the side naves. Inside the cathedral was divided into 3 naves: the middle one and two side naves, divided into two narrow parts by choirs. Apses created the rounded shape of the cathedral. In the first plans they wanted to create 5 vestibules (3 down stairs and 2 on the choirs) but following the Byzantine architecture styles only one altar was planned in the middle nave, in the right one there was a credence table, and in the left one - sacristy. Two more alters - Olginskiy and Borysoglebskiy - were supposed to be on the choirs.

In spring 1896 the wall painting and decoration work were finished all over the cathedral but on the Olginskiy and Borysoglebskiy alters on the choirs.

On September 1, 1896 the metropolitan Ioanskiy sanctified the Cathedral. The Emperor family, dignitaries and high officials were present during this process.

On June 12, 14, 1913 the Holy Divine service was held in this cathedral.

In May 1914 the Holy Vladymyr brotherhood was organized there.

On April 1, 1917 the ceremonial divine service was held there in honor of T.Shevchenko.

In 1929 the all-Ukrainian central performing committee approved the decision to close the Cathedral and turn it into a Museum of anti-religious propaganda. The archive funds of local governmental authorities were held here during some period of time, then the book archive of Pedagogical institute was here.

The Cathedral was opened during the period of occupation and remained in function after liberating Kiev in 1944.

Do you like this article?

 

Nearest entertainment

Улица Леонтовича
Улица Леонтовича
Embassy of Belgium in Ukraine
Embassy of Belgium in Ukraine

Comments to the article - St.Volodymyr's Cathedral

 
This article has not yet commentedWrite a comment
Your name*


 
Refresh code
   Enter code from the picture

Избранные места
    Аренда квартир
    2012 enjoyukraine.info All rights reserved. The content is protected Google